15 January 2015

Three Things Thursday

Why, hello there! 

LOVING your jumper today. It's very You.


I've got so many things to tell you all that I don't know where to start. So I've decided to avoid the whole issue and write a frivolous post about three things currently making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like an inside-out koala. Here we go:

1. Peppermint & Liquorice Tea
Yes, I know; that combination sounds absolutely disgusting. I pulled a very similar wrinkled-up-nose face the first time I heard of it too (don't think I can't see you doing that), but I'm imploring you to ignore the voices in your head singing* "That sounds so gross!" and find some STAT. 


I'm not really a fan of liquorice, but the flavour is completely different to what I expected, and it's so sweet that it could almost count as pudding. Obviously, no tea could ever truly replace pudding- but this one's certainly a good substitute while you're waiting for the Ben and Jerry's to defrost enough to dig in with a spoon.

2. Dinosaur Pyjamas
My Mirror Twin and I both agree that these pyjama bottoms are the best thing to have happened to human legs since Kevin Bacon's dance solo in Footloose.


I was horribly sensible and DID NOT BUY THEM because I already own 18,000 pairs of pyjama bottoms. I'm now wondering whether that might be the dumbest decision I've ever made; including the time I had a mullet

3. Wonderful words
Having recently rediscovered the magic of The Great British Library, I've been wolfing down novels like a very hungry silverfish. Sadly, my rekindled love of literature hasn't done anything to improve my metaphors, but it has introduced me to some incredible new authors.

I'd never read any John Green before, despite the whole internet being in love with him, because I'd assumed his novels were rather morose. I was overjoyed to discover how wrong I was after picking up Let It Snow; a compilation of three interwoven teenage romances occurring on Christmas Eve. The characters are funny, sweet, and flawed, and I'm now planning to track down everything ever written by John Green and Maureen Johnson. 

I was also recently introduced to the awe-inspiring work of Edward Gorey. Despite never having heard of him before, I fell in love from the very first paragraph of Amphigorey; which is quite possibly the most captivating and fantastical collection of writing/illustration/art/ awesomeness ever created. 

Image from Amphigorey

All fifteen stories/collections were so exquisite that they made me feel happy and sad in equal measure, which is a rather odd feeling indeed. The sadness was due to realising that, no matter how hard I try, I'll never come close to producing such a masterpiece. Luckily for you lot, I've decided to soldier on with creating my rambling, semi-humorous nonsense regardless; so there'll be many more dinosaur-related posts and cake-based tributes from me yet.

So, what have you been up to recently?

Katie xxx

*The voices in your head sing too, right?!

17 comments:

  1. Why thank you, it's my cat jumper and it is a firm favourite!
    I am sorry to just blindly continue along my own happy way but no WAY am I putting licorice ANYTHING into my mouth! I don't care how persuasive you are, it INT happening! I hate my tea sweet anyway!
    Oh for the love of God, BUY the pajamas! Where are they from? I want them too but I shall wear them as trousers! (I was in Tiger today and they had DINOSAUR feet/claw slippers!!!! I contemplated them but decided I really only do sheepskin slippers and the ones I have have MASSIVE holes in the toes but i want that sheep to have fulfilled its potential!x
    Your letter was my happy thing today-I LOVE the fact you wrote it on a flapjack wrapper!!!!

    I want to read the ant book!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's OK, Kezzie- I've decided that you not drinking sweet tea means all the more for me (thanks!).
      The pyjamas are from Topshop. They seem rather popular and have already sold out online. I found the last pair in a size 6, and somehow managed to squeeze my bum into them; so they'll probably be much too big for you.
      I'm really impressed it arrived already- I posted that second class on Wednesday! xxx

      Delete
    2. That IS impressive!!!
      No way can I get my Bum into size 6 topshop!

      Delete
  2. I am with you on the pyjamas. Very awesome. Also, I quite like the sound of the tea. Shall try to hunst some down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely won't regret it, Nicole. Please let me know what you think of the tea! xxx

      Delete
  3. Ooh you're good, my jumper IS very me and I love it too! And omg those pjs, surely you can find a less awesome pair to get rid of to justify buying these...? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee- I guess I could selflessly donate some of my current PJs to Oxfam, then reward myself for being so generous with a new pair of pyjamas... xxx

      Delete
  4. First off: happy New year! Secondly, buy the pjs, I know I want to :) I have to say licorice is one of three things I can not stand
    (the others being marzipan and brussel sprouts) but hey, I'll try anything once! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Annie! Sadly, I am still without the PJs; if we're meant to be I'm sure I'll find them somewhere one day (perhaps on ebay, under my "dinosaur pyjamas" search :p).
      If anyone gives you some unwanted marzipan in future, please feel free to send it my way! xxx

      Delete
  5. Similarly to other commenters, licorice is something I can't stand either.. BUT! That tea does not taste of licorice AT ALL, it just makes the mint really smooth and perfect and I cannot get enough of that tea.

    I went on the website to track down those pjs but they are sold out :( I need pjs, I'm about to have a baby and therefore spend a year (at least) living in pjs so I need good ones!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for supporting me; I might revise the post and quote you like a food critic. If people don't trust your commendation too then they're fools!

      Have you found any other PJs worthy of your baby yet? That must be a tough call to make! xxx

      Delete
  6. That tea sounds interesting and those pajama bottoms are quite amazing! Yay for reading John Green. Seriously, his writing style is wonderful. I highly recommend Looking For Alaska, Paper Towns, and Will Grayson, WIll Grayson. And if you haven't read anything by Rainbow Rowell, I recommend her books as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations- I'll try and find all of those! You're definitely one of my go-to literary gurus, so if you like them I'm sure I will too. I've read E&P and Fangirl; I really need to track down a copy of her latest one in the library xxx

      Delete
  7. Not buying those pyjamas, that is a dumb idea! I must be the last person in the world who hasn't read John Green although 'The Fault in our Stars' is on my (incredibly large) 'to read' list :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! I'm a dumbass. And, even worse, a dumbass with a life void of dinosaur PJs. Sad times. Well, if it helps, I was a very close second :p xxx

      Delete
  8. I can't believe you passed up those pyjamas - they're amazing! I loved Let It Snow too - next Christmas, I recommend My True Love Gave To Me, which is short stories (not linked like the ones in Let It Snow) by YA authors and also lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel like I'm owed some good clothes karma or something. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll add it to my To Read list! xxx

      Delete