28 April 2014

Commode on over

And pull up a chair (once you've recovered from that really awful pun). 

Not just any chair, oh no; an upcycled chair. Yup. I've been getting my craft on once again, and this is the reason I spent several days in March covered in spray paint.



Commode: Before

I spotted this fellow feeling a wee bit sorry for himself, literally, in our local flea market late last year (the one that made me famous). Despite the fact his seat was bleached with the splatterings of bleary-eyed, full-bladdered emergencies past (lovely, eh?), I fell in love with his rather sexy turned legs and arms. 



Eeeew.
But check out those sexy legs!


And those arms! Swit-swoo!

Thankfully, I had a good excuse to buy him there and then, because we'd recently decided our bathroom needed a chair to perch on whilst we brushed our teeth. And what better for a bathroom than an antique commode?! Tom might have been slightly less enthused that we had to carry it home between us, because we'd walked into town...


Rather than reverting to my trusty DIY chalk paint, which I've previously used on a dresser, a lamp, a dining room chair and our dining table, I decided to opt for something even easier (and with no brushes to wash out afterwards) and bought a can of Rustoleum primer and another one of grey spraypaint. 



Making progress; after the first coat of primer.
I was particularly drawn to the wicker elements, because they reminded me of the aida fabric for cross-stitching. So I decided to embroider it. Are you ready for the "after"? Here goes:




So much better with the stains cleaned and covered!

I opted to use wool, because it's nice and chunky, but
I'm uncertain about the colour.
I haven't embroidered the seat yet, because the wicker is so complicated I struggled to get a standard pattern, and I was worried it would make the seat uncomfortable. Look at me- choosing practicality over aesthetics!! Perhaps I'm growing up...

Katie xxx

13 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous chair! I love the colour you chose. The embroidery makes it more funky. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma Kate! I hoped you'd like it (as my furniture-painting Spirit Animal) xxx

      Delete
  2. It looks sooo much better than before!! Love the tiles in your shower too ...
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) There are more photos of the tiles in my bathroom home tour post if you want to see the rest - http://hooklineandsinkher2.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/house-tour-part-1-bathroom.html xxx

      Delete
  3. This looks gorgeous! Thanks for ridding it of poop and returning it to a glorious state!
    Uber jealous of your skills/carrying ability
    M x Life Outside London

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *bows* you are most welcome m'lady. My carrying skills are pretty rad. Although my supervisory ones whilst Tom carried it most of the way were even better :p xxx

      Delete
  4. Nah, you'll never grow up, and if you do, I swear blog world will be a sadder place!!! Very nice and very subtle! I'd have find for turquoise or cobalt!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been obsessing about spraying things sunshine yellow recently, but I thought with all the tiles going on in the bathroom I should probably (gasp!) tone it down... xxx

      Delete
  5. Growing Up schmowing up. I like it. I think when you are ill or want to spend the whole day in (or very close to bed) you should drag it into your bedroom.... perfect for hangovers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be if I bought a bowl to put in it; as it currently stands (with a wicker seat and a hole underneath) I think that would get quite messy :p xxx

      Delete
  6. No, no, no - don't you ever grow up! Every one of your blog readers forbids you! :-)
    It's definitely a cool commode/chair, I quite like the colour of the wool - it matches very nicely with the grey! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - noted, Louise; I'll ensure I maintain my Peter Pan complex forever more :) xxx

      Delete
  7. It looks so good! I love the colour you went with. They grey really freshens it up.

    ReplyDelete