24 March 2013

Polkadot Pockets

What's cookin', good lookin'?

Today I'm going to show evidence of me doing something we're all told not to do, under those generalising-phrases-that-don't-really-make-sense Rules of Life. Such as; "Don't judge a book by it's cover".... 

I mean, if you DON'T judge a book by it's cover, how are you going to know if it's a genre you like? I have one rule when I go book-hunting at the library: if the cover shows a skinny cartoon woman with a big hat drinking a cup of tea and/or carrying shopping bags, and is called something like "Wedding Belles" or "Mary Kate is getting married" I am checking that thing out. If it looks like this, I am not checking it out:


Disclaimer: I'm not saying that this book isn't great reading (it might be-
I don't know). It's just that reading about war makes me cry.
So I don't do it. 

Anyway, today I wanted to talk to you about: Putting Things In Pigeon-holes.  I'm all for not pigeon-holing people (like in Dom Joly's Trigger Happy TV sketches with the mild-mannered punk) because appearances certainly can't tell you what a person is really like. But I am definitely up for literally pigeon-holing things by organising them into little spaces (or pockets, in this case).

If I was going to meet a stranger at a train station and wanted them to recognise me, I would probably describe myself as "the tall, very organised girl wearing polkadots, eating a cake" because chances are I would be wearing polkadots and eating a cake, and I imagine my organisational skills to be a visible aura that oozes out of my (perfectly aligned) pores. Cleaning, I have no time for (hence our filthy windows) but tidying? That, I will MAKE time for.

So imagine my glee when the third item sent to me by the lovely DotComGiftShop was this brilliant multi-pocketed, polkadot-covered organiser. SWOON. 



Of course, I immediately began thinking about all the things I could fill it with- and which room it should go in. It could be...

1. A craft organiser
With envelopes, stamps, crochet hooks, felt-tips, animal post-its, blackboard foil, knitting needles, and Emergency M&Ms. 





2. Extra food storage
For our larder (aka, the under-stairs cupboard). To house pasta, biscuits, hot sauces (for which Tom's love knows no bounds), oil, picnic cutlery, and Emergency M&Ms. 




3. Bathroom Storage
For handy-to-grab items such as deodorant, shampoo, shower gel, face masks, medicine, moisturiser, and Emergency M&Ms.





The wall tidy is also made from 90% recycled materials- how excellent is that? I've decided to use it for envelopes and stationary for writing letters*; and it's currently hanging from my Duck and Cow hooks at the end of my craft bookcase

What would you use it for? 

Katie xxx

*And Emergency M&Ms. Obviously. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow I love this!!think I may need to purchase this!!it would b perfect for the man's bathroom products that somehow end up consuming the whole house,however I have just got another hang from door holder for toilet rolls!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always need emergency m&ms - and I ALWAYS judge books by their covers.

    ReplyDelete