13 August 2015

A rather magical weekend

Hey m'dears!

How have you been?


I felt so relaxed after my week off I was practically floating on a cartoon cloud. I did everything I'd hoped to do and so much more. I also ate an excessive number of carbohydrates, which I'm pretty sure is what people are referring to when they use the phrase "living the dream".



Me, enthusiastically slicing carbs. Hurrah!

My outing to London Zoo on Friday far exceeded my expectations (admittedly, I was mainly expecting to fall asleep in front of the monkeys). I don't know if it was the company (charming), the caffeine (delicious), or the animals (awesome) but I was still partying 23 hours after my 2am wake-up call. And by "partying" I mean "drinking pre-made mojitos in the park", because I'm all class.

Thankfully, being up that early gave me plenty of time to research hipster coffee haunts, and The Coffee Jar more than delivered in the form of totally kick-arse white chocolate and hazelnut cookies:



I spotted all kinds of weird and wonderful critters on our way round, topped off by being INCREDIBLY brave during the Spider Walk (i.e. being put in a room with a whole bunch of BLOODY MASSIVE SPIDERS who were completely free to move around and/or jump in your face, and managing not to cry). I definitely earned the ice-cream I scoffed afterwards, and I'm pretty sure shaking from fear burns calories too.



HUUUUUGE moth. These things were so vast we all thought they were fake. Nope.


The Lesser Striped Upside-Down Bird*

Couldn't spot this guy, so I assumed that he was hiding from fish school name-taunting bullies

Although, my favourite sight of the entire day had to be this:




As for last weekend, it was literally magical, because I got to attend a Harry Potter themed Hen Do. Most of the magic was organised (fantastically!) by the Hen's sister; including HP themed goody bags, surprise boxes of (gluten free) baked goods, and amazing activities- a delicious dinner, pottery painting, and drinking so many cocktails that some girls' stomachs decided to expelliarmus their contents. Does that make throwing up sound more or less gross!?




My contribution to the weekend's agenda was a Potter-themed Scavenger Hunt, taking the Hens on a tour of Worthing and creating a legitimate excuse for some Hen Do-themed hashtags. Double win.  




Each team had an illustrated list of things to find and photograph:




The pottery painting may well have been my favourite part of the weekend, and I think it's fair to say the owner of Art-Ful is my (much cooler) kindred spirit:


Batman, Lichtenstein, incredible fonts...

... AND FAKE DEER HEADS.

This was my super-sophisticated contribution; I can't wait to get this bad boy home and full of amaretto sours.





Finally, despite seeing ocarpis, glow-in-the-dark beetles, and a man who looked like Dumbledore over the weekend, the weirdest thing I spotted has to be just how freakily disproportionate my thumb is to, well, everything else in the world. How could I never have noticed that before?!?




Seriously- have you ever seen a bigger thumb (excluding foam ones at baseball games)?!


Katie xxx

* OK, OK I made that name up. I never said I was David Attenborough**.


** I wish I was David Attenborough.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you've been having a lovely time! The HP hen do is so cool. :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do everything in this post. I am now going to London Zoo next time I go to London, and I am crossing everything that my hen do will have some form of harry potter-ness (my sister is organising it and I know *nothing*).

    I also have a huge thumb. Well. Huge fingers and thumbs. Can we start a club? I do think yours might be bigger than mine though.

    Rachel x
    The Inelegant Wench

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHrgh, what a COOOOOLOOL way to spend a weekend! Truly fun and inspiring! Please can you draw me my own fun marauders map based on things to find in Brighton when I (eventually) come and see you!?

    Your thumb is HUGE! Better get a thumb reduction! Do they do them on the NHS? ;-)
    Am slightly nervous of Frankenmoth! Oh my, that is a biggun!
    But never mind all that, I MUST have the £2 double chocolate cookie, seriously!!!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it just me or does that butterfly look like it's made from bacon? It could be a symptom of me turning vegan. :/ xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I could never do a Spider Walk. You are one brave lady! And that Harry Potter scavenger hunt sounds fantastic. I love the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post on "A rather magical weekend". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- chocolate making school | lifestyle cooking college

    ReplyDelete