5 July 2012

Staycation Part 1 - Sheffield Park and Gardens

Tom and I are currently on holiday from work (hurrah!) and have decided to save money on a holiday by going on "staycation" instead. We're very lucky that where we live in Lewes is, in our opinion, the perfect spot for a holiday at home. The South Downs are two minutes from our front door, sea-sidey Brighton is only a fifteen minute drive (/train ride- if we fancy a few pints in a sunny pub garden), and there are so many beautiful country houses and parks nearby- ripe for long walks, picnics, and taking a photo or two. 

Staycations have a bit of special meaning for us too (or certainly I like to think so :p) - because when Tom tagged along on a Brighton staycation I organised with some friends that was really the first time we actually spent together and I got a wee bit of a crush on him (I spent the majority of our trip to the Booth Museum trying to work out if he was checking out my bum! Haha) and then, well, here we are now :) 


Lots of laughter, whilst sitting in a boat. On staycation in 2008(!!)
Because we're now basically a middle-aged couple with matching argyle jumpers (I wish- Tom won't let me buy them) we recently joined the National Trust. Originally, we'd decided not to, because the membership fees are rather expensive, but yesterday I discovered in you sign up online with a direct debit you can save 25%. I bet Mrs Thrifty would be proud :)  And, because I'm not actually middle-aged yet, I still qualify as a "youth"; which makes me very happy.

Today was our first outing as National Trust members and we decided to head up the road to Sheffield Park and Gardens. Neither of us had been there before; despite the fact that it's only a 20 minute drive from our house. The gardens are really beautiful- almost more of a "woodland" vibe, rather than planted regiments of flower beds- with plenty of little patches of wild flowers, and some seriously tall trees. We saw countless butterflies, ducks and geese, and I witnessed a rather intimate moment between two dragonflies... 

The best bit was getting to take some photographs- something I've been neglecting recently, and I personally feel that photographic evidence from our days out makes them feel a little bit more special. Here are a few of my favourite shots;

Apparently this is what pine cones look like before they go brown and spikey and get covered in PVA and glitter by toddlers for cheap Christmas decorations.













Tom looking very proud of the scotch eggs he made from scratch :)
And finally- I felt like a bit of a perve taking this shot, but seriously- aren't you glad "dragonfly-style" isn't a physical option for humans?!


Have you ever been on staycation? Are you a member of the National Trust, or do you have any other favourite green spaces?

6 comments:

  1. 2008... so long ago!

    Glad to see the Staycation tradition lives on. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn tootin it does! I like that it's a fancy word for broke,cheap'n'lazy :p xx

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are beautiful! It looks gorgeous there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're only beautiful because of my boyfriend's awesome camera :) I really need to start using his cameras to take all my blog pictures, instead of being lazy and using my shoddy, fuzzy phone-camera. Also, the lens is much longer on his camera, so it's harder for me to accidentally get my finger in the picture :p xx

      Delete
  3. Wow, these photos are gorgeous!!!! And I like hearing a little goss on how you and Tom got together! And the dragon flies, are you SURE that's what they were doing? It seems a bit funny that one's reproductive organs should be near their head and the other is near the the other end! Hmmm, I'm intrigued now! Oh goodness, now I feel like a perve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) They're some of my favourites I've taken so far. I'm pretty sure that's what they were doing- I didn't ask as I felt the constant papping of my lens was probably intruding on their private time quite enough :p xxx

      Delete