25 March 2014

The Magic Skirt

Hello lovelies!

How are you? 

I had a completely different post planned for today, but that will just have to wait, because this morning I realised I've owned the skirt I wore to work today for almost TEN YEARS. I'm waiting for the call from Oprah to go and tell the world about it. In the meantime, I'm going to tell you about it. 


I bought this skirt (from a charity shop, natch) for my Record of Achievement Ceremony at the end of my GCSEs. It was the first piece of relatively grown up clothing I'd ever owned, and I remember being told by a boy I'd scarcely spoken to before that I "scrubbed up well" when he saw me in it. 

In my mid-teens I was a lanky beanpole, but for some reason this skirt fit me perfectly; despite being an M&S size 16. I think it's meant to be worn on the waist, and I wear it on my hips, but to be honest I don't think the sizing even matters with this skirt because it's magic!!


That's right, people. It's Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants style magic. Except, rather than fitting four very differently shaped and sized friends (which is a totally believable thing for a pair of jeans to do), it's fit me constantly over the last 10 years - whether I've been size 8 slim or size 14 curvy. 

I was going to say it also differs from the jeans in the Travelling Pants because I hadn't experienced any life-changing revelations whilst wearing it but, actually, I've worn it to all of my job interviews; so I guess I have had a few. 

Yes, it gets all wrinkled at the back whenever I sit down, and it's been washed so many times it's definitely grey rather than black, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it! 

Do you have any clothes you just can't bear to throw away? Or any magic ones?

Katie xxx

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I have dresses and cardigans and tops owned since I was 16!! Now I am 33!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is impressive! You've had them for more than half your whole life!! Woah..... xxx

      Delete
  2. I have a really holey long sleeved top I wore whilst pregnant and although C is nearly 8 and the thing looks minging, I can't get rid.
    Also I'm keeping things I paid a lot of money for like an ankle length black velvet coat from Monsoon that cost me over a weeks wages when I was in my 20's. A beaded silk halterneck top with a lace up back, leather trousers I would only fit into if I was dying. That sort of thing. C will have fun with them one day I'm sure! (She might have to be 29 before she's allowed out in said leather pants and halter neck top!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for keeping all your best clothes- I'm sure that C will love it! My Mum said more times than I could count that she "used to own something just like that" about so many clothes I bought in my teens! Every time I replied "Well, you should've kept it!". I wonder if my kids will want my grey and wrinkly skirt? :p

      Definitely keep that top forever- it sounds like it has a lot of memories :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on 10 years together! I've got a few bits in my wardrobe that are probably about that but I don't wear them regularly - keep them more for sentimental reasons. Love your mirror too :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe I'll take my skirt out for a romantic dinner. Isn't that what Daniel Cleaver proposes in Bridget Jones, actually? Thanks - it was an antique shop find; I love those sort of ornate frames. xxx

      Delete
  4. I bought a French Connection denim jacket when I was 16 (14 years ago), I bought it with my first wage and was very proud of myself haha :) I still wear it now and think I prefer it now it's faded! Will probably pass it on to my little girl one day x
    Definitely keep the skirt, if it helps you to feel confident in interviews and comfortable at work then it's a winner x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good denim jacket is a classic - I'm sure your little 'un will appreciate it :) I think the confidence part in interviews is because I know it won't ride up without warning, unlike some of my other dresses! xxx

      Delete
  5. Wow! What a skirt! I've got a very comfy jumper that I've been wearing since I was 8 :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can fit into a jumper you had when you were 8?! That's amazing! xxx

      Delete