1 January 2014

New Year's Resolutions

Hello lovelies!

Happy New Year :)

It's been a few years since I made any New Year's resolutions, but for some reason this year I'm feeling the urge to, erm.... better myself. Weird, huh?!

This year, I'll be blogging about my resolutions, so you can all hold me to account if it gets to December and I've yet to pick up the vacuum cleaner. 

I've decided to group several goals together as two resolutions, with the idea that completing part of each one will help me to achieve the rest.

1. Dedicate more time to my hobbies
I've developed an awful habit of coming home from work and heading straight for the sofa with tea, chocolate, my laptop, and the remote control and basically not moving until I go to bed. It's not exactly productive, so I want to start spending more of my free time during the week on something creative rather than procrastinating online. I've got loads of existing hobbies I enjoy, including reading, sewing, drawing, writing, and baking; all of which I currently do very rarely. I'm hoping this will also drive me to finish some of the half-done projects strewn around the house. 

Here are just a few of the many craft projects I want to get stuck into this year:


Cut out letters poster DIY from How About Orange


2. Take more pride in appearances
This goes for me and for our house. I'm incredibly lucky to have a pretty fast metabolism, but this means I don't push myself to exercise (and also because I hate it). I'm therefore incredibly unfit so I've decided that, until I find an exercise I enjoy, I'll get my cardio by cleaning the house more thoroughly and more often. I spent the majority of last Sunday deep-cleaning several rooms and it's amazing how much happier I feel when our house is sparkly clean.

I'm not usually one for a generic e-card, but YES to both of these:

[source]

[source]

3. Learn the Police-radio phonetic alphabet thingy. 
I want to learn the NATO alphabet so that next time I need to spell a word over the 'phone I'm not wracking my brain for something that starts with Y. Admittedly, this resolution has a downside; as call centre staff will have less of a laugh when I'm no longer spelling words with Swordfish-Elastic-Narwhal-Oklahoma-Cheerios-Acorn or whatever. 

I'm deliberating about investing in this lovely print from JG Artwork...


Print from JG Artwork

So I stop saying "N for, erm... Nicholas Cage?" to strangers.

Have you made any resolutions this year? 

Katie xxx

8 comments:

  1. I'm too lazy to make resolutions! Like you, I'd like to spend a bit less time on the net - I tend to sit at my computer and stay there until bedtime and I waste so much time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some admirable resolutions there, nice to see some different ones! Also think grouping them together is a great idea. And sod that, I'm adding 'N for Narwhal' to my own personal alphabet! Happy New Year :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I think I should just lift this post and republish it in my own name! All makes EXACT sense to me!!!! I should be doing all of the above!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I am giggling over the phonetic alphabet because CBC is ALWAYS saying to me that I need to learn the phonetic alphabet because I do: J for Jonathan, K for kangaroo, F for Freddie, A for Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! We should totally set up some craft club evening in Lewes so we can do regular crafting xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great resolutions! (and I love the slogan about cleaning and the internet, the other half reckons that's me all over!).
    I have a copy of the NATO alphabet stuck to my computer at work for when we're spelling out email addresses or names. The only thing is when you're talking to Chinese or Indian students all day, they have no idea what I'm on about! We end up adapting it and using countries as examples - which seems to work pretty well as long as you can remember lots of countries! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I think I would find that even harder because my geography skills are non-existent! Sticking a list somewhere I will regularly see it is a good idea though. Perhaps the fridge door? :p xxx

      Delete