13 October 2013

Six Things Sunday

Hello lovelies!

How are you?

It's been a while since I've done one of these lists, so here are six things I'm smiling about at the moment:

1. Halloween
Halloween is my favourite festivity (mostly because I love face paint. In case you hadn't noticed...) and, despite having yet to make any plans for partying this year, I'm still brainstorming potential costume options for Tom and I. 

I've been trying to persuade him to go as the Dothraki King and Queen from Game of Thrones with me, but he refuses to go topless in public. Boooo.


Ok, ok - mostly I just want to put Tom's
beard into a ponytail. Haha.

And check out these amazing carved pumpkins; I wish the UK had something like this!


Image source

2. New pretty jars
A few weeks ago Achica was offering free delivery on all orders, and after spotting they had some of my favourite fancy-pants jars for a mere £10 each I treated myself to the shapes I was missing from my collection.

I have no idea what I'm going to put in them yet (for some reason I keep thinking "lemons" - but who needs that many lemons?!) but I am very excited about the endless possibilities. Please excuse the crummy phone photo.


Any ideas what I can fill these with? Cookies? Sand? M&Ms?

3. Good food
Now the weather's turned colder, we've replaced BBQs with Sunday Roasts in our house and I've reverted to my winter level of cake consumption. Not because of greed, I hasten to add- it's for selfless environmental reasons. You see, me being fatter = feeling the cold less = waiting longer to put the heating on. I'm like a one-woman Greenpeace.


Check out this amazing cupcake one of my team made me at work
She's definitely getting full marks on her next appraisal...

4. Entertaining TV
I'm currently in the midst of my first cold of this winter, so I've been resting up with gallons of orange juice and feel very thankful there's plenty of good TV on at the moment to keep me entertained between naps on the sofa. I've recently been watching Nashville (and now want to be a country music singer when I grow up, in addition to seriously overusing the term y'all...), the Great British Bake Off and Downton Abbey, and found out yesterday that Made In Chelsea Season 6 starts airing tomorrow. EEEEEEEP!! 


Millie preparing to gouge Spencer's eyes out... Join the queue, girl.
[image from Reveal]

5. Good reads
I've sped through several excellent books recently, my favourites of which have been The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

The Night Circus is the most magical book I've read in a very long time. The story is captivating and enchanting, and Morgenstern's world is one I'd quite happily lose myself for ever. I've no doubt the film rights have already been snapped up (probably by Tim Burton) and I'm hoping any future cinematic versions are the visual feast that this gripping story deserves.



I found Eleanor & Park to be an utterly adorable read, even though the plot is far from sickly sweet and deals with much darker themes then just general teen angst. The characters are well rounded and identifiable - definitely the kind of kids I would want to smoosh the cheeks of if I met them in real life. I might've shed a tear or two at the end, but I'm not going to give away any spoilers. 

I would heartily recommend either book if you're feeling in need of a little escapism.

6. Competition winner! 
Congratulations to Anastasia from Girl Reviews Things for winning my 50,000 pageviews giveaway! I'll be posting out your prizes this week :)



What've you been enjoying doing recently? Wearing jumpers? Listening to Wagner? Watching Youtube videos of dancing monkeys?

Katie xxx

10 comments:

  1. Tomorrow? Woo hoo! Thanks for the tip off! Have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wagner???? Are you kidding??? I can't stand Wagner!!! The most dull weekend of my life was spent rehearsing Gottedamerung!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just put in the first fancy-musician name I could think of :p I promise you don't have to listen to any Wagner if you don't want to! xx

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my site because it allowed me to end up here. I love those pumpkins! I love your face paint! I want to read that book! So much goodness..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say - thank you so much :) I love your blog; it's been responsible for a lot of my snort-laughing! xx

      Delete
  4. them there jars are amazing. Also I had no idea MIC was back. my favourite love to hate program!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing about Eleanor & Park. I HAVE to read it! And those jars are so cool! I'd be filling them with cookies and then maybe craft supplies. Oh, buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really do - it's lovely :-) jars full of cookies is an excellent idea! Xx

      Delete
  6. I LOVED 'The Night Circus' and Made in Chelsea just gets simultaneously worse and bettererer every series! Also, I will send you pics of mine and Pat's latest Home sense buys soon, I think you will be impressed/gouge your eyes out! xxx p.s I'm going to add you on goodreads! But oly if you promise not to judge the large amount of Mills and Boon-esque romances on there...

    ReplyDelete